Friday, April 10, 2009

One Easter Morning

The dawn was not yet as we slowly moved about the three-storied brownstone. Stacey made sure we were awake just after 4am. It was Easter Sunday and the Shawmut house was headed to the North Shore. Not much was said as we prepared for our journey out of Boston. It was cold, quiet and an anticipation filled our hearts. Layers of clothes, chairs, blankets, and Bibles were the order of the morning. We piled into Karin's ever-amazing Volvo stationwagon. We were going to spend that Easter morning watching the sun rise over the Eastern Seaboard. As we followed the windy road up the coast we eventually found ourselves at a quiet beach that was lifeless. The Atlantic's mighty winds were strong and uninviting. We sat in the car for a bit to stay warm. Black began to turn to gray but still there was no light. We knew what was soon to come.

We gathered our things and trekked down the beach to the place we would claim as our front-row seats. With blankets stretched across our cold bodies, our little family followed along in our Bibles as Stacey began to read aloud of how the Lord was taken to the cross. We listened silently. To be there watching. How great must the hurt and confusion have been! Soon the gray became less as we continued to read of His burial. Our hearts were mourning. Eventually the sky turned to light but there was no sun. The anticipation began to build as the sky beckoned for the rising sun. Our hearts were in awe as we listened for the Rising of the Son. And the earth obeyed. The sun peaked over the horizon saying "Here I am". Light filled the sky. The sun brought the morning. Each of us silent. Listening. Reflecting. Amazed. Thankful. As we watched the bright ball of fire rise over the ocean we were meditating on the Resurrection of Christ. The obedience that paid our ransom. The resurrection that is our only hope. The death that brought life. Countless thoughts of the Glorious One.

Our Savior is Risen! Praise be to the Lord!

We sat in silence while our hearts overflowed. It was Easter morning. There was no bunny, no eggs, nor any candy. There was only worship of the Savior. It will never be forgotten.

6 comments:

Stacey Wideman said...

He is risen indeed!! Hallelujah! One of my favorite traditions we started. I'll definitely be thinking of you as I head out in the morning...I'm so sad to be doing it without any of our family, but you will be with me! I miss you like crazy!

Love you--S

Karin said...

I was right there in the moment again when I read your post. Thank you for the memory...I needed it after having a very non-celebratory day here. I found a few moments to celebrate the risen Lord in my heart, but as the holiday is not celebrated here it almost passed unnoticed. Big sigh.

Anonymous said...

Wow, fantastic post Anne. Thanks for sharing!

The Josti's said...

I'm reading this a little later but just the same it brings back memories. Wish I could have gotten my butt out of bed this year. Thanks for the great writing though...I almost felt like I was there again...oh and great reference to Roxy the Foxy wagon.

Tell us another one soon...

TJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TJ said...

update?